Monday, July 29, 2013

Science with a twist!

Science has always been a challenge that I had issues conquering. I loved watching the Magic School Bus when I was younger. Each week, I was always eager to go on the next science adventure with Ms. Frizzle and her class, but in class, science was never as fun as it was on the television show. As I got older, science became more difficult. I could never remember all of the elements on the periodic table, trying to label the planet cell confused me, and dissecting a frog right after lunch didn’t really agree with my stomach. Like that frog, I stunk at science. Physical Science, Biology, and Chemistry, you name it and I stunk at it. But it was not until the 9th grade that I discovered how much fun science could be.

My professor was teaching us about the freezing point and the transformations of solids, liquids, and gases. For weeks, we discussed how water evaporates into gas, how gas turns into a liquid, and how a liquid turns into a solid. After weeks of charts, diagrams, worksheets, and quizzes, it was finally time to see the transformation come to life. We watched how a liquid turned into a solid by making ice cream in a baggie. The experiment was interesting to watch, fun to make, and good to eat.

I learned that science can be fun when it is presented in different ways. I learned the importance of first learning the material from my textbook before trying the experiment, and I had a blast doing the experiment. This summer when you have nothing to do conduct a S.T.E.M. project and see how much fun you will have!!!


Cool off this summer and try this neat S.T.E.M. project “Ice Cream in a Baggie” http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/a/aa020404a.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment