Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Meet Camp Cahinnio Camp Director Pockets!


Meeting new friends from all over the region! Canoeing across the lake! Singing camp songs all night long! Trying new activities, foods, and games! Camp is a great opportunity to discover hidden talents, new adventures, and great experiences. We got an exclusive interview with Camp Cahinnio Camp Director, Amanda Hall, on her love for camp life and what she is looking forward to this upcoming camp year.

Name: Amanda Hall
Title: Director of Camp Cahinnio
Camp Name: Pockets
Favorite Thing about Camp: Singing Camp Songs
Camp Advice: Try Everything!!!
 
 


GS Diamonds Reporter: How did you get the camp name Pockets? 

Pockets: I choose my name but wasn't really proud of it till several years on staff.  I did at one point take one of my dad's old shirts and sew on scrap fabric to make pockets, I may still have that hiding in a box somewhere.  It is also a funny name because for the first several years as staff I seemed to not have shorts that had pockets.  
GS Diamonds Reporter: What’s your camp background and experience?  

Pockets:  I grew up going to Girl Scout camp in Oklahoma.  I only went once a year and only because of the number of cookies I sold.  I was a CIT and then was on staff for 5 years working my way up the ranks (counselor, lifeguard, waterfront director).  I am on my second year as Camp Director at Camp Cahinnio and about to complete my masters in Camp Administration and Leadership.  
GS Diamonds Reporter: What is your favorite part of camp?

Pockets:  I really love singing at camp.  It is a great time filler, they are always weird and creative, and it is always fun to learn new ones.  There is never a wrong time to sing a song at Girl Scout camp.

GS Diamonds Reporter: What is your favorite camp activity?  
Pockets:  This is a hard one.  I love to canoe, shoot a bow and arrow, cook out, and hike.  However my favorite is one that we do not have at camp and that is Rappelling.  I like the rush and feeling of going down the side of a mountain/rock with nothing but the ground far below me.

GS Diamonds Reporter: What are you most looking forward to this summer?
Pockets:  I cannot wait to see the girls again.  To be able to see girls try new things, make new friends, have fun, and just be themselves is a wonderful feeling.  I also enjoy making things up to do with girls like going on a roller coaster in the dining hall.

GS Diamonds Reporter: What is your advice for first time campers?  

Pockets: Try everything whether it is an activity, game, song or food.  You never know you like something till you try it.  

GS Diamonds Reporter: Why do you love being a Girl Scout?  

Pockets: The opportunities that are available to girls in the program are endless.  Not only did I go to camp but I have travelled around the world from Australia to Mexico, to Scotland.  I cannot wait to share these experiences but also be able to provide opportunities to girls in the future.
We hope all the campers have a wonderful camp experience with Pockets at Camp Cahinnio!!!

Interested in learning more about Pockets??? Post questions for her and we will find out what you want to know!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment