Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Dedicated Dad of a Girl Scout


When most people think about Girl Scouts often times they think of girls bonding with other girls, leaders and volunteers all being women, and there being no place for men. It’s been long overdue for us to kick those thoughts out of our head, because many dads play a big part in Girl Scouting. The organization is mostly run by women, but there are also some dads out there who have made their daughters’ girl scouting experience great.

I can remember during cookie season, many dads coming to the church to help load tons of cookies into countless vehicles. Not only were they cookie loaders, but also chauffeurs. Every second and fourth Saturday, I remember my dad taking me to my Girl Scout meeting or a Girl Scout event. My dad wore the hat of a chauffeur, but also a seamstress. He would sew each patch on to my vest year after year; and he never complained when he had to re-sew the patches back on because they were upside down. One of my favorite Girl Scout memories with my dad was the annual father/daughter dance. I can remember my dad opening the door, holding my hand as I walked up the steps, and saying this is the way that you should be treated with respect, just like a queen.

Dads can play such a large part in making a girl’s experience in girl scouting one which will last a lifetime. Thank the guy in your life that has helped make your Girl Scout experience wonderful. Whether a dad, a brother, or an uncle, tell them how much you appreciate them.

What has been your favorite Girl Scout memory with your dad? Share with us!

 

Thanks Dad,

JoNece Carter

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing. That was a great story and I appreciate you for taking the time to tell us how your dad helped to make Girl Scouting a fun experience that has made a lasting impression.

    ReplyDelete