Sunday, June 24, 2012

Centenary Celebrations




                        Two years ago, I enjoyed participating in the Centenary Celebrations (100th Birthday) of the British Girl Guides.  But in my heart, I continued to look forward to my own American Girl Scout Centenary in 2012.

I’ve picked a few things that I want to do to be part of the Centenary Celebrations and thought I would share them with you:

1. This blog -
When my former Council proposed this idea, I was very excited! What a great way to share the things I’ve learned with my sisters in Guiding and Scouting while reflecting on the journey we’ve travelled as an organization. Sharing this with you kicked off my personal Centenary Celebration and it will close out the year as well.

2. Visit my former Councils -


Girl Scouts - Diamonds of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas is first on the list. I hear there is a reunion this summer for participants of the WS/AOK link (West Sussex, England/Arkansas and Oklahoma) established through the legacy Council of Mt Magazine...the link that would eventually lead me to my life in Britain. I am looking forward to attending to meet old friends and new at Kelly Cabin.



Tres Condados legacy Council, now Girl Scouts of California's Central Coast, was where I grew up as a Brownie, Junior, Cadette and Senior Scout. I went to summer camp each year at Camp Tecuya. That is really the place I learned about international sisterhood (we had counsellors join us from other countries every summer), self-reliance, and singing. I look forward to visiting there in August as well.


3. Rock the Mall in Washington, DC -


Nation’s Capital Girl Scout Council sponsored a BIG SING this month. I picked this event to attend because it has grown to international proportions and I wanted to participate in a nation-wide celebration. It will be inter-generational, too, with daughters, mothers, grandmothers and great-grandmothers who are all Girl Scouts attending together!  AND the songs we will sing- many old and new favorites!

           Did you know that singing was part of the original Laws that Baden-Powell set down for girls?
                                  He wrote, "Scouts whistle and Guides sing!"

If you haven't started your own Centenary Celebrations, start thinking of what you want to do to mark this event. It might include a few of the following:

Read and share this blog.

Talk to your mom or grandmother about her experiences with Girl Scouts. See what was the same (new friends, loved camping and singing) and different (wearing dresses to camp, camp uniforms of white shirts and knee socks with flashes).

Do a meeting on Girl Scout history and dress as different characters from our history.

With your patrol or troop, try a badge from your mom or your grandmother's handbook.

Attend a Centenary event in your Council or another Council.

What other ideas can you think of?

No comments:

Post a Comment